Information about Louisiana’s Home Study (Home School) Program can be found on the LDOE Website.The LDOE’s Home School Policy, Program Guidelines & Application for 2011-2012 are provided by clicking the link above.
The following is an excerpt from the LDOE Home Study (Home School) Program webpage:
Parents interested in enrolling their children in a homeschool program may do so by submitting an application to the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE). Each home study program must be approved by BESE. Further, applications must be submitted annually—for each year in which parents wish to educate their children at home. The parents of children who participate in home study programs are responsible for all school curricula and are required to teach their children at a level at least equal to that offered by public schools at the same grade level. A tutor may also be permitted to provide instruction to students who are enrolled in a homeschool program.
The BESE-Approved Home Study Program Guidelines provides an application form, guidelines for compliance, and general information including:
Links to the Department’s resources that may be used for curriculum development,
- How to secure Textbooks,
- How to request State Assessments,
- Provisions for Admission or Readmission to a School System,
- Legislation related to the Tuition Opportunity Program for Students (TOPS),
- Instructions for NEW or initial application,
- Instructions for RENEWAL application,
- Contact information for Local School Board offices.